Learn what it takes to become an innovation leader in the 21st Century from former Medtronic Chair & CEO Professor Bill George, as he teaches you the concepts, tools and practical tips needed for innovation leadership.
n the 21st Century, there are millions of innovators, but few authentic innovation leaders are able to inspire and guide innovators and their teams to create breakthrough products with their innovative ideas.
In this original course, Innovation Leadership, former Medtronic Chair & CEO Professor Bill George, shows you how to become an innovation leader. The essential elements of knowing yourself and your unique leadership gifts, your motivations, and the purpose of your leadership will be covered by Professor George, along with personal stories of exceptional innovation leaders, concepts, exercises, tools and practical tips to help you become an exceptional innovation leader.
Innovation Leadership is organized into three modules, each including videos of Professor Bill George describing essential elements of innovation leaders, illustrating them with personal examples from innovation leaders, readings from Discover Your True North, illustrative charts, exercises, reflection essays, and discussion topics.
What you’ll learn
- Why innovation leaders are so scarce and essential for growth
- How you can become an innovation leader and create shared value
- How to empower innovators
- Discover your purpose as an innovation leader and how to find the “Sweet Spot” for your innovation leadership
- Innovating for global impact
- Learning from exceptional innovation leaders
- Knowing yourself through your life story
- Losing your way and crucibles of leaders
- Develop self-awareness
Module I: Your Personal Journey to Innovation Leadership. The course begins with the introduction before moving into:
- Your Leadership Journey
- Losing Your Way
- Crucibles of Leadership
Stories of leaders included in this module include Wendy Kopp, founder of Teach For America; Howard Schultz, founder of Starbucks; Ian Chan, founder of U.S. Genomics; Mike Baker of Arthrocare; Daniel Vasella, MD, former Chair & CEO of Novartis; Pedro Algorta of “Alive,” survivor of Andes Mountains crash; and Steve Jobs of Apple.
Module II: Developing as an Innovation Leader. In this module you will go through essential elements of developing as an innovation leader:
- Transformation from Innovator to Innovation Leadership: the “I to We” Journey
- Innovating with Values
- Finding your innovation “Sweet Spot”
- Building Support Teams
- Integrated Life
The stories of innovation leaders include Nelson Mandala, president of South Africa; Disney CEO Bob Iger; Narayana Murthy, founder of Infosys; IBM CEO Sam Palmisano; Warren Buffett, founder of Berkshire Hathaway; Kevin Sharer of Amgen; Mark Zuckerberg, founder of Facebook; Facebook president Sheryl Sandberg; eBay CEO John Donahoe.
Module III: Innovation Leaders in Organizations. The concluding module focuses on:
- Innovating with Purpose
- Empowering Innovators
- Your Style as Innovation Leader
- Innovating for Global Impact
- How Innovators Create Shared Value